History has many people who are honorable and show mental and physical strength beyond what people might expect of them. Then there are the others. Some people have just done things that merit a special place among the cowards off history. So what are the worlds most famous cowards. I have made a list of deserving people for that dishonor. Some are more deserving than others.
- Judas Iscariot is told to have betrayed Jesus with a kiss. A truly cowardly act.
- Muammar Gaddafi was famous for flashy military customs and big defiant statements. He gets a special place as a coward of history for the evil cowardly Lockerbie bombing. He was responsible for killing a total of 270 people through his agent’s actions. He also proudly ended his life hiding in a drainage pipe and was killed by his own countrymen. All the bold things he said mounted for nothing in the end.
- Saddam Hussein was another tyrant sociopath. In his role as the ruler of Iraq he gassed the population of a Kurdish town killing thousands of men, women and children. In life he was cruel and very hard on his peoples. The mass graves found after his reign are monument to his cowardly rule. He promised the world the mother of all wars but ended his reign much like Ghaddafi in a hole.
- Anders Bering Breivik the killer of 77 people. Mostly young defenseless people and children that he cornered on an island. The mass murderer so enjoyed his killing spree that he was said to have laughed during the killings. He is the definition of cowardice.
- Joseph Stalin was a leader that was able to show his cowardice in many different ways. He betrayed anyone around himself. Thought to have poisoned, killed and outlawed his fellow leaders in Russia. Having betrayed his Czechoslovakian defense contract during WWII and leaving the Czechs to fend for them self’s. His status as a coward is solidified by his treatment of his own military. Forcing them to shot their own soldiers if they backed down during battles. His orders to kill POWs the Red Army captured and slave camps Stalin had made for POWs and his own people. In his time as supreme leader of the USSR Stalin had many ethnic cleansing programs in place that had people shipped to other countries and to the gulags. Stalin’s victims are counted in the millions. It is estimated that 20 to 30 million are likely to have died as a result of his actions.
- Osama Bin Laden made this list as a typical guy who asked his warriors to attack civilian targets. Osama spent his life hiding from his enemies after killing thousands of people on 911. Always willing and able to let his followers that often were uneducated young people run in to death for him. Someone should perhaps have introduced him to the life of Mahatma Gandhi. Live by the gun and die by the gun. It takes a man with balls and endurance to do it the peaceful way.
- Francesco Schettino, captain of the Costa Concordia. After the huge cruise ship sank and Schettino abandoned the ship ahead of passengers. Claiming he was going to control the rescue effort from his escape vessel did not sound convincing. He is another welcome addition to the list of cowards.
- J. BRUCE ISMAY was famous for abandoning ship during the sinking of the Titanic. Leaving women and children to die. He was at the time the managing director of White star line that built the Titanic. To his defense some told that there were no women or children around when they left the ship.
- Yiannis Avranas, former captain of the sunken Greek cruise liner Oceanos. Did pretty much the same thing Francesco Schettino except that he took the chopper lika a chicken to shore. He might be the biggest chicken off all.
- Ted Kennedy famously ran from a car accident. The driver of the car was reported to have lived for possibly few hours after the accident. Kennedy did not report the accident until the next morning. To his defense he was a young man at the time and people do make mistake.
- Robert Ford who shot the famous Jesse James in the back. Although a cowardly act he did the world a favore.
- Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was the killer of 16 afghan citizens. By sneaking off base and going to a village nearby he earns his place on the list of cowards. He shot and killed 16 men women and children who had done absolutely nothing. He then burned the remains of many of them. A truly evil act. His actions are likely to have contributed to loss off coalition forces as the Taliban reacted. His betrayal was great for both his fellow soldiers and the people he was meant to protect.
Hope you share these shiny beacons of shameful behavior to your friends.