Are you worried ? Did you just do your banking and think someone might also be doing your banking? Think your computer might have key logger programs installed? Are you the victim of a key logger trojan or a key logger spyware of some sort. You might be clueless about it and someone might be monitoring every stroke on your keyboard.
Basic key loggers are the following.
Root-kit key loggers
External key loggers - sometimes keylogger trojan
Scripted or web key loggers
Windows hook key loggers
Windows message key loggers
Key logger detecting and repelling is often easier than you think. The same methods apply to virus and spywar prevention and detection in many cases. Here is a list all security conscious people should read through.
How to find keyloggers :
- Check your programs in control panel. Make sure you know what all of them are.
Sometimes it’s as simple as that.
- Make sure your virus protection is up to date. Scan the computer. This is the best way to get trojans viruses.
- Make sure you have a working firewall. Also found in control panel. Remote or external key loggers are less likely to be installed and or controlled.
- Some programs are specially designed to work against key loggers. If it is really important it’s worth it.
- If you are getting a link in your messenger you should be careful what to click. Also be very careful online. Don’t accept all windows you don’t understand. The correct method if you don’t know is to say no.
- Be careful what to open in your mail. Many of the common ways to get your keywords or keystrokes are by sending mail. Getting the sucker to open it and then by using the online banking or something of that nature.
- Always read the link you are ON in the browser well. By that I don’t mean the link you clicked somewhere. Some fishy sites send you a link by some method. You click it and are delivered to a look-a-like site. There they grab your information or infect you with some code to get passwords.
- Be careful how you use messengers because they can be hard to detect loggers.
- One trick if you think you have a Trojan and are worried is to change to a keyboard from some very small country. Try the special chars on the keyboard. Trojans are not good at making the special chars and the hackers don’t care. They just need an English speaking sucker. The key loggers often do fail this simple test. The good key loggers don’t. So if you are being spied on by quality software or hardware you will not find one this way.
- Don’t put in to your computer all the freeware you can find and think it’s just from people who really like to type. Check on sites that the software is clean. Many big download sites do have a rating of the software as safe. If they do not have it. Be careful.
- Check your computer for suspicious hardware. Someone might add a logger between your mouse or keyboard and your computer. Then just remove it at a later date.
- One way of detecting a keylogger is to inspect all running programs and find out what they are. Two ways are easy in that. One is to go in to command prompt. Start – run – cmd and run a command called netstat -a -b. This command shows the programs using ports on the computer. Even better it also shows what ip or host they are talking to. So tracking the evildoer becomes possible. Using the -b flag in the command it shows you the chain of processes on the computer is working and what ports its using. The other way of looking at processes is by CTRL-ALT-DEL and using the task manager. Make a list of all the processes and find out what they are.
- Some programs are on the market that allow you to accept all changes to the computer and even roll back if you get doubts. This might be handy if you are one that likes doubious sites like hacking. If you must be running something on your pc that someone has hacked for you and you are going to expose your computer to that kind of risk. Understand that this is most likely going to infect your computer.
- Take the trouble of getting a virtual pc running. If you run a virtual pc on your computer you can pretty much do what you like. That kind of a setup allows you to do what you want. Then at the end of the session you just choose to reset the virtual machine and all changes are lost.
- Using Filemon or Diskmon from http://sysinternals.com is one way. If a key logger is local on a machine it needs to put the information somewhere. This program can track it. It is for very experienced users though. This company now in the steady hands of Microsoft also made a fantastic tool called Process Monitor. It tracks real time process behavior. Hijack this is a fantastic tool. Just be careful what you delete.
If you get spyware or keylogger on your computer the simplest way might be to install the operating system again. It’s hard to say with absolute confidence that the computer is free of all problems even if you clear it by some means. Take care not to read through this guide and think you are in the clear if none of the methods here give you result. Some key loggers are very hard to detect and embedded in the driver chain.
The bottom line is. Don’t be stupid. If something is sent to your computer. Wonder why it’s there. Don’t just click away like there is no tomorrow.
So this was my guide on how to detect keyloggers on your computer. Look for more information on the Norton.com or trendmicro.com web.
Don’t be the deer in the highlights. :P